I've read a couple of places that the original Jack-o-Lanterns were made of turnips and other more-common vegetables than pumpkins.
So I made one as today's Thing!
I read that it's better to cut the bottom off than the top, so I did that.
I scooped out the insides with a teaspoon. It smelled very earthy.
It ended up smaller than I thought it would.
I set it on a tea light candle.
But the more I put the turnip around the candle, the less oxygen it got and it started to go out.
I think it turned out pretty cool for my first turnip Jack-o-Lantern. The site I read said that it will only last 3 to 5 days.
I was hoping it would last until Halloween.